Gimson continued designing through the First World War. By 1917 most of his craftsmen had left the workshops.
After peace was declared he planned to start the workshops again but was prevented by ill health. He died of cancer on 12 August 1919 and was buried in the churchyard at Sapperton. The design of the gravestone was chosen by his widow, Emily, with Sidney Barnsley and Sydney Gimson. They chose a flat stone from the nearby Edgeworth quarry similar to the old stones in the churchyard. Gimson loved this type of limestone which is full of fossils and very weather resistant.
A piece of slate was set into the stone with lettering cut by Gimson’s friend, Fred Griggs. The plate reads:
Ernest William Gimson of Sapperton. Architect, son of Josiah Gimson of Leicester. Dec 21st 1864 – August 12th 1919.
And in 1941 the following inscription was added (with Emily Gimson’s maiden name misspelt):
Also of his wife Emily Anne daughter of the Rev Robert Thomson. Died January 15th 1941 aged 74 years.